About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

So another week just happened....

How is it Thursday night already??  This week has flown by in a frenzy of mostly work-driven busy-ness, with a bit of domestic chaos (computer network collapsed, got a new pet that has caused all manner of commotion with existing pets and other household residents, kids have mid-term exams, stuff like that).  The new pet has made me occasionally question whether I've gone from drunk to just plain crazy, but my son earnestly made a case for why he wanted and would take care of this new addition, and I am seeing that he quite possibly was right about it.  So maybe just a little crazy and maybe kind of a good thing.  Time will tell.

It's been almost a week since my last post, but I've been 'drive-by' lurking on the sobersphere in my spare moments - sort of like fast food grazing on little tidbits of inspiration, reinforcement and good humor.  This online community is a real gift.  A few folks even checked on me this week since I've 
been 'absent,' and that makes me feel cared for and accountable - I really REALLY appreciate and love that.

I just counted (since I am not compulsively tracking the days, which somehow makes it seem like they are going faster and easier, or maybe it's just this week's frenzy) and it's the end of Day 12.  I feel liberated, peaceful and happy, despite the wacky week.  I had to attend a work cocktail reception this evening and I honestly was not at all tempted or annoyed that others were throwing back wines with wild abandon.  I WAS a bit annoyed that there was no tonic water or even any seltzer/club soda, but I managed to suck down sugary Sprite and enjoy all the yummy hors d'oeuvres (something I rarely managed when I was throwing back wines with wild abandon at cocktail receptions).  Tonight I realized that I didn't WANT to drink; what I WANTED was to leave after about an hour of dopey small talk with mostly strangers.  So I did.  

Newsflash: It's okay to go to a cocktail party and leave after an hour.  Normal drinkers do that a lot, like after their first or second wine.  It's even okay to go and not drink alcohol, and I am not the first or only person ever to do that (another revelation, haha).  I NEVER did that, always stayed longer than I meant to and drank more than I intended, and usually just drank more when I got home to recover from the 'anxiety' of the party.  We won't even get into some of my more memorable jackass shenanigans that started with the office/business cocktail affair.  Yeah, that was fun.  Not really.  Not at all.  And especially not afterwards.    

I'm happy to have the perspective I have tonight.  Hope it stays with me for the next time I have to go to a drinking event, or whenever Wolfie starts whispering lies about how just one or two would be okay, just this once.  I haven't been hearing him the last few days, but I have been reading about how he's stalking one of my sober sisters. I wish he would just leave her the hell alone! He is a big fat liar and bearer of misery.  He's quiet in my world tonight and I am very grateful for that.  I hope he stays away from all of you too, and that everyone is off to a nice sober weekend with lovely sleeps and bright-eyed, clear skinned hangover free wake-ups. 

Hugs, 

SR             

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound good! Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post!
    You made me laugh as well as see myself in the "stay later at the party person"!
    So glad Wolfie is quiet!

    ReplyDelete