About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Friday, January 9, 2015

One week!

Well, that's it - a whole week sober for the first time since October 2013.  And it's been a doozy of a week: crazy biz trip which included being around a fair amount of drinking people as well as usual biz trip stressors.  I have consumed enough tonic water to insure that I will be malaria immune for the rest of my life!  I didn't really know that I liked tonic water but I do.  Maybe there is something to Belle's theory of bitter is better.  Anyway, that's my #1 mocktail for now, with or without lime.  

The week thing is interesting as a function of counting days.  When I got sober the first time, the day counting was huge as it typically is in AA - single digit days, 30 day chips, 60 day chips, 90 day chips, etc to the grand finale of the 1 year medallion, with cake and everything.  I really liked getting those little pieces (and the cake, or in my case because the home group met in the am, it was breakfast pastries) and I was  compulsive about the day/week/month/year counting.  But it was always like I was counting the time I had been depriving myself, successful in avoiding a temptation or made some sort of sacrifice (wearing of the hair shirt, carrying the cross, I dunno...but a subtle negative connotation).  

This time around, I think I don't care so much about the day count.  Obviously Day 1 was key (so much so I had to do it more than once to get it right, haha), and I think the first couple of days are just so touchy that it's hard not to be hyperaware of the time that's passed/what time it is.  And of course, I don't think I'll just forget that I stopped drinking on January 2, 2015.  But I do think the perspective of 'I am happily free of the beast and I DON'T want it even though I CAN have it' (mangling my interpretation of Jason Vale's message) lends itself to more of a positive and empowered focus than 'I've got a disease that wants to kill me but I've managed to conquer it for this many 24 hrs by not doing something I really want to do.'  Does this make any sense?

Anyway, I am happily free of the beast today and I've felt that way for the last few days (it's not like a week is an eternity anyway, maybe in a few days I'll have that hair shirt on).  And of course any period of sobriety is worth celebrating for someone who struggled with putting the drink down, so I'm not knocking milestones (or day counts for that matter).  I just feel a different perspective and I think it augurs well for me to feel good and strong and happy with not drinking, that it's a choice I have made and am happily and voluntarily living with.  Not something I 'must' do because I have a disease.  

I like Vale's theory that the disease stops once you stop feeding it (ie, addiction is only a sickness as long as you are taking the drug; if you stop taking it, you stop/cure the disease).  It's really just how I think about it - either way, the name of the game is not drinking, and whatever thought process works to that end is a successful one.

It's not just the thoughts though.  What's been really great for me this time is really knowing I am not alone and that there are lots of women all over the world very much like me doing very much the same thing for very much the same reasons under very similar circumstances.  That was something that I just never really found in AA.  There were NOT very many women who had teenage (or any) kids living at home.  There were a lot of other kinds of people and a lot of them didn't have jobs.  Some did, but more didn't.  And I found both of those differences meaningful after a while.  They say not to compare but to identify, but I felt there were at least as many differences as common identifiers - with VERY limited exception, the only real thing I had in common with most of the folks in AA was a problem with alcohol.  So here in the sobersphere, I feel much more surrounded by people I can REALLY relate to on that level as well as the other aspects of our lives - kids, jobs, husbands, friends, neighbors, socializing issues.  I am grateful for and excited about that.  It just feels more authentically supportive, I guess.

So I'm at the end of my first week sober and very happy to be there, and I'll remain generally aware of the days that pass, but I think I may drift away from counting them.  We'll see.  Now off to watch some silly TV and settle into my couch with cats and a kid or two, maybe some chocolate and probably a bit more tonic water :).  I'll go to bed sober and wake up deliciously rested and bright eyed and happy to have a weekend!  Sobriety rocks and so does the sobersphere.  I hope everyone has a great sober evening and a lovely weekend! 

Hugs,

SR                                   

4 comments:

  1. Dear SR,
    Yay on the week! We went for a walk tonight in the dark, FREEZING weather and then had ice cream!
    It doesn't get any more fun than that! LOL
    I wonder about counting too. Right now I am.
    Peace and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on one week! I am an obsessive day counter. I tend to get obsessive about lots of things...lol. I really agree with you about shifting the thinking from feeling deprived to feeling free and happy about the choice. I still feel both ways at different times. I've never been to AA, but agree that I'm loving the connections I am making in the sober blogging world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you? Haven't heard from you on your blog. I hope you're well....xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen, thanks for dropping by and checking in :). I have been just crazy busy since last week, so all I've managed for the last several days is a few 'drive by' lurks on everyone else's blogs! LOVED your post re your daughter - it mirrored so much of my experience and feelings with my children, particularly my oldest daughter. So aside from frazzled/exhausted and ready for a (hopefully) quiet weekend, I am fine. It's the end of Day 12 (I think that's the count - 12 or maybe 13), and I am feeling good. Had to go to a cocktail reception for an hour this evening and it wasn't even challenging other than the fact that small talk with mostly strangers is just mind numbingly boring. I guess that's why a lot of people drink/overdrink at those events! But I didn't want to drink, I just didn't want to stay very long. On the bright side, they had good food, which is much easier to enjoy when you AREN'T drinking. So that's my story for the week. Hope you are doing well! Thanks again for your note - I feel cared for <3 :).

    Hugs,

    SR

    ReplyDelete