About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 2 again and a good start

So I didn't get to Day 3, having 'slipped' into Mr. SR's bottle of wine on Friday night.  Of course I felt awful all the way around, but once I started 'chatting' with some of you I felt better in that many have shared my experience of multiple Day 1's and everyone gave me support and encouragement to just start over and not beat myself up too much.  Thank you everyone in the sobersphere!!

So yesterday as Day 1 wasn't too bad.  Mr. SR has decided to be AF at least for a while and that helps.  I know it's MY problem, my journey, but having wine all over my kitchen and literally right up in my face is a challenge I'd really like to put off for at least a few days.  Very grateful for that, hope it lasts a little while.  

I laid in a little sobriety rescue kit for the evening - a fair amount of chocolate and Mrs. D's recent concoction of ginger, lime and seltzer.  Got myself a sober penpal - awesome! - thank you, you know who you are :).  Was great to have a little email exchange at end of the evening.  Went to bed early and read some more of Jason Vale's book, which I am enjoying.  Very positive and affirming, and a very different perspective than AA.  I like getting away a bit from the idea that I am fundamentally flawed and perpetually fighting, and moving to the idea that the real problem is alcohol, elimination of which really won't detract from anything and will improve everything.  We all agree on that, right??  Yes, I thought so :).   

Today is off to a good start - got up early and Mr. SR rallied the younger teens (older one sleeps until forever, gah) to help remove Christmas ornaments, tree, sweep mountains of needles out and even fully clean the garage - woo hoo!  I love having the feeling of a really nice clean house and even an uncluttered, unjunked garage.  A good start, at least metaphorically.  Now off to do some errands with my younger daughter, something we both enjoy.  And then I will prepare the big Sunday dinner for all, plus my bonus daughter and her hubs (who - wait for it, yippee - are both AF!!).  So I feel good and strong and positive and ready to get to Day 3.  

And I am most appreciative for all the comments, the support and the very fact that I know I am not alone.  Thank you so very much my sisters in the sobersphere!

Hugs, 

SR           

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really positive day! Are you doing treats too? That really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats all the way 😜. As in a half lb of chocolate almonds! And a mani-pedi yesterday. Trying to be nice to myself.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Hugs,

      SR

      Delete
  2. You can do this....you know you want it badly..... I can't wait to read the rest of your journey. It's so hard ...but reaching out, reading, having a nap, eating ice cream, run, scream ....are things that may help.... hugs...jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jen! We can BOTH do this. We deserve it and our kids do too. Have a great Monday

    Hugs,

    SR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really glad to hear you are back and doing well, it's really tough sometimes and knowing we are all on this together is hugely helpful. I feel quite sneaky slipping off to the laptop to catch up on everyones journey. I do it everytime I think I want a drink... it really helps.

    Also, how wonderful is it when you have AF guests? It's really helps :)

    Day 3 today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Day 3 is underway - dealt with sick kid, recalcitrant teen back to school and went to Cross Fit, a good start. Now dealing with Back to Reality at work, sneaking a few mins here and there to listen to some of Belle's intro stuff and catch up on the blogs. How are you doing today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby went AF too. We have nothing in the house.
    You can do this.

    ReplyDelete