About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday Report

Well, the wedding was fine.  A bit boring, but they had plenty of tonic and I did gorge on the appies - which was good, because the buffet dinner was a bit lackluster.  Mr. SR got a new perspective since HE had to go AF owing to his meds, that was interesting, plus it made the early exit a breeze. Small gifts.  Further to my wardrobe shortcomings, and also a reminder of the previous drunk wedding attendance, I took my 'party shoes' out to leave last night and realized that both heels had been irreparably damaged at the last wear - obviously came home so sloppy that I didn't even know.  Gah!  Luckily I had a spare pair which weren't even that uncomfortable...another small gift.  The BIG gift was coming home sober and waking up unhungover :). 

Looking forward to a nice sober Sunday - taking one of my daughters to a women's college softball game this afternoon.  She loves it and I love the girlpower, plus it's a beautiful day here.  Nothing not to like.  We have plans to make a cake before we go - sort of a new hobby for me.  I like to cook but baking is my short suit (something about the precision/patience just doesn't match up with my skill set).  Not sure I really *need* to be doing a lot of baking (or, more accurately, consuming the outcomes) but it's fun and everyone likes the product.  Today is a lemon pound cake, trying to perfect the recipe from an effort a few weeks ago.  

I like and am grateful for ordinary Sundays with ordinary plans.  It is such a refreshing counterpoint to the doomy Sunday that invariably followed the cut-loose Saturday night (as if the preceding six nights were somehow hold backs...not so much!).  On those ugly Sundays, just trudging through the little chores was so exhausting...needing another weekend to recover from the weekend.  Now I get to enjoy the actual weekend as a time to slow down a bit and rejuvenate.  Sober life is good!  

Hugs,

SR            

6 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday! I don't miss the "old" Sundays either. The ones where I could barely function! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving sober Sundays. Sleeping in because I like the feel of my cozy bed rather than the fact that I'm too sick to get out of it. Working out not to rid myself of toxin but because I love it. Baking! I'm a baking freak since I got sober (my family says they always know when I'm trying to work through something because I bake). Just love the normal of it all.

    Enjoy your day!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being sober on Sundays! Really, nothing beats it!
    It's like a "found" day!
    I love baking too, but I can't do it very often, as that is ALL my hubby and I will eat!
    Lat time I made chocolate chip cookies, we ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
    Good thing chocolate is a food group!
    Peace and Hugs!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I am horrible at baking as I have to follow directions and use the precise amounts measuring things. My cookies tend to be flat like pancakes or my brownies puff up. I love cooking. A pinch here a pinch there improvise this and usually it all comes out tasting good but I have had some mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon pound cake. Mmmmmm
    I'm a haphazard cook. So baking never works out. And I am celiac, so most of it is crap anyway. I miss pound cake.

    Sunday's are definitely different for me too. My last year of drinking I couldn't handle them and always drank, even those I swore I wouldnt. Which meant Monday's were a horrible nightmare.

    I am now always ready for the week on Sunday and that bit of efficiency is so relieving!

    Glad he wedding went well. I ruined many a pair of shoes myself. Not anymore!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SR.... Hope you're doing well.....

    ReplyDelete