About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Three Weeks

Well, there you (I) have it.   Nothing earth-shattering, just a few itchy early days and then doing the 'slow walk' of remembering why not to drink.  Not thinking about whether I can moderate (I can't), why it's not fair (life's not fair, but for me it's better sober), when I might drink again (hopefully not anytime soon, preferably never, but at least not in the next decade), what will happen tomorrow/whether some other human or organization will or will not behave the way I want them to (they probably won't but I have no control, so why waste the energy), and other similar questions I already know the answers to.  Trying to think about today, how much better I feel after a night of sober sleep (19 nights of sober sleep, the first 2 were a little rocky :)), how fortunate I am in almost all things in life (not grateful for Donald Trump, but almost everything else is pretty good), and how to stay on an even keel/avoid overwhelm, which I have concluded is a major trigger for me.  May devote an entire post to that one, but for today, suffice to say that's a biggie.

Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Dear SR,
    Happy Sunday to you, too!
    Way to go on 3 weeks!
    When I was teaching I used to use the stress as a reason to drink.
    I would get overwhelmed easily, and some of it was that I made mountains out of mole-hills.
    Hugs!!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi SR. 3 weeks is awesome! You are doing great. Life is so much better sober. We have to stay strong and keep going. A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working on that overwhelm issue for a while now. Doing better but would love to read your upcoming post on it! Nice Donald Trump joke. Ripley!

    ReplyDelete