About Me

I'm a 50+ married woman raising three teenagers and working full time in a demanding profession. I've been sober for a bit more than half of the last five years and want to stay that way for life. I'm here for accountability, inspiration and a few laughs along the way. Come on in, let's talk!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Today is not day 1 for me, I'm hoping day 1 (and a few more) will materialize in a few days.  I was sober for over 2.5 years, started out with a pretty strong commitment to AA, but became a bit disenchanted after a year or so (more on that later).  Picked up a glass of wine a little more than a year ago, and - surprise - just like it was before.  No such thing as a glass or two for me - go big or don't go!  Once that first glass is in, it's a bottle, maybe a bottle and a half.  Once I start it, I can't control it and I know the only way to regain/maintain control is to PUT IT DOWN and out of my life.  It's hard.  And since I am high-functioning (full time successful professional; mom to three teens; wife to a good husband; no car wrecks, DUIs, no job/law/money problems - no obvious consequences), it's easy to hide behind the 'happy social' veneer.  But there's nothing happy or social behind the veneer: isolated, hungover, feeling less than I know I can be, knowing I am a disappointment to my kids and to myself.  Putting this up here to try to get back in the sobriety groove.  It's the middle of the holidaze/silly season, and I don't think I'll get there before New Years.  Trite I know....but true.  And I want to work from a place of truth.  So that's where I am today - I am not where I want to be but I know I want to go there and this might be a place to start the journey.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment